Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge

Saturday, September 10, 2016

How do You Cook your Vegetables?

Hello you very attractive and charming readers!

This week, I'm going to begin with a story. To give some background, there is a large Jewish population in Brooklyn, New York. Jews dress very modestly, in dresses and skirts that are around as long as ours (at least from what I've seen thus far of the Orthodox Jew religion). So, to the innocent Jew passerby, we typically look Jewish. The only distinguishing factors are our name tags, the fact we don't wear stockings in the crazy humid summer, and upon closer inspection that we don't speak Hebrew. So we get a lot of inquisitive looks from Jews, and some even try to talk to us before realizing we aren't Jewish. We are, indeed, quite Mormon. (Conversation normally cuts off around the
time they see the name of Jesus on our tags.)
Gorgeous Sunset in Brooklyn

Occasionally, though, some don't realize we aren't Jewish. This happened on the bus the other day. A middle-aged Jewish man looked at us and asked us in a booming voice, "how do you cook your vegetables?" I was caught off guard, Hermana Gourley was beyond befuddled. And we weren't the only confused ones - approximately half the bus had noticed the odd question. Feeling as though this was some form of test to see how well versed we were on Jewish faith, and aware that at least ten people were listening for our answer, Hermana Gourley and I looked at each other briefly, and turned back to the man. "We don't? We serve them raw...?" Hermana Gourley hesitantly replied. "Don't worry, I'm not trying to hit on you!" He laughed. "I have a girlfriend." At this point we were genuinely concerned (and trying very hard not to laugh, especially given the smirk on the Hispanics' face next to him).
As we recollected ourselves for a moment, we realized he was for some odd reason trying to talk about how to serve vegetables, giving a basis in Songs of Solomon. Now, I'd never read Songs of Solomon before, but I was almost 100% positive it didn't talk about vegetables (also, I read it in my personal studies, definitely no vegetables mentioned.) We were considering how to tell him we weren't Jewish, but it was a fairly interesting lecture, so we kept on looking at him with wide, puzzled eyes and even more puzzled ears. After further Isaiah and biblical discussion (Note: apparently Moses was called *twice*, once as a prophet and once as a Jew) he informed me of how to properly serve vegetables as I awkwardly nodded and smiled. There's some oil and vinegar involved and pepper too, I think. As we reach our stopped we smiled at the Jew (grimaced might be more accurate) and walked away from the bus feeling just about as bewildered as we had ever felt. So, moral of the story: if you're ever asked how to cook your vegetables, turn to Songs of Solomon and read from there.

My week was lovely, though. Now that my companion and I are completely over being sick, we've been able to run twice in the morning! Since we live so close to the ocean we actually jogged over there in about ten minutes and saw Staten Island. It's a gorgeous area, with many breathtaking cathedrals. I never would have expected the amount of religious worship centers I see, and on the scale I see them! Specifically there are a lot of Catholics and let me say, they really know how to make their churches. But personally, I prefer Mormon temples. ;)
We went on exchanges with the sister training leaders on Tuesday which was very enjoyable. Sister Shiobara and I ate dinner at a lovely young families' home from Utah. They had a darling white little dog named Scout after Scout Finch in To Kill a Mockingbird, which reminded me a good deal of a white little dog I had at home who went by the same name. Also they had two darling children (though I find most children darling, it's true). We ate burritos and root beer - a very inoffensive first dinner appointment for my mission! We afterwards went tracting in a park where I looked a good deal like Elder Calhoun in the Best Two Years (definitely watch it).
Splits with Sister Shiobara!
District Activity

On top of the world!
The next day I was with Sister Fields. We went to go see a returning member (euphemistic language is my favorite) who had three very energetic under-four-years-old youngsters. They were very sweet.
Exchanges taught me a lot. First of all, that Carvel's ice cream (vanilla with rainbow sprinkles, whipped cream, and a cherry) is always a good idea. Also New York pizza. That stuff is pretty great.
Also, I learned the importance of talking to everyone. I've always talked to someone, waited a safe distance, and then talked to someone else. Sister Shiobara taught me to go right down the line and talk to every soul that crossed my path. We actually talked to a terribly interesting lady who studied theology at Harvard. She had an awful lot of respect for religion, and we adored hearing all of her
perspectives!

On the way back to Bay Ridge with Hermana Gourley we had a mini miracle. We were talking to a Hispanic lady on the bus and felt a prompting to give her a Book of Mormon. As we got out the book to hand it to her we heard three voices on the bus pipe up as surrounding Hispanics asked for the book as well. We only had two on hand but we promised the others books as well if they called us. It was such a blessing to have people receive us and the Book of Mormon so well.
One of my favorite aspects about life using public transportation are the rare action-movie-worthy moments. On Thursday we learned a good deal more about that than I would have liked. We were very close to missing curfew as we got on the N train headed towards Manhattan. On the next stop we knew we would have to catch the R for Coney. We arrived, and saw the R pulling in on the opposite side of the station. We looked at each other with big, round eyes as we both knew it was
time to prove ourselves. The moment the doors opened we sprinted out of the train in leaps and bounds as passerbys shouted encouragement. We took the stairs four at a time, with a singleness of mind on our purpose: to make the R. We ran down the stairs on the other side as the doors were closing, but I refused to let almost-closed doors discourage me. Mid-sprint I stuck my hand in the door and it bounced back dramatically as we breathed in victory and smelled sweet success in conquering the train. As the train left the station we nostalgically looked back over our shoulders at the quickly disappearing station as we pondered what it truly meant to triumph, which naturally lead us to think of our savior triumphing over death. Sound dramatic? Well it definitely happened and is pretty much a depiction of my daily life. Later that subway ride, we had a car all to ourselves as well. It was a good day. #killedit
A subway car to ourselves!
Service at the senior center.

Tortas at Los Margaritas!
For Preparation day today my district went to the Dock and looked over Manhattan and the Statue of Liberty! It is gorgeous by the sea! We also climbed trees, played catch with footballs, and had a picnic (I am a firm proponent of the Oxford comma, for any wondering). Also for any wondering, I have the best district (and best mission) in the world. #NYNYS
Manhattan Skyline!


Hermana Gourley and I always have fun!
Tree climbing

And I can't have a blog post without a spiritual thought, so here it is: " 'The bright side of it is,' said Puddleglum, 'that if we break our necks getting down the cliff, then we're safe from being drowned in
the river' " -C.S. Lewis 

We may be falling down cliffs and having difficult times in our lives, but with Christ by our side we can always see the positive and endure through it all!
¡Tenga un buen semana! (Have an enchanting week - loose translation)
All my love,
Hermana Ally Voss
Our hilarious elders!

No comments:

Post a Comment