Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge

Monday, December 12, 2016

Snow what? It's preparation day again!

And *insert sing-song voice* December is just around the corner! Don't miss the Mormon Christmas Campaign to #LightTheWorld!
Us in huge coats with the Sister Training Leaders.

This week was a day shorter from last preparation day, so I have a few less stories to tell, but the first thing that set off our week was exchanges with the Sister Training Leaders in Little Neck. To be completely honest, it wasn't terribly interesting. We took a picture in our abrigos but since their area is our area (and we have another area besides theirs), I saw a lot of the same things as normal. They took us to some appointments, we ate taco soup, had a sleepover, daily contacted, and did Mission Standards jeopardy in their District Meeting. Sister Tarnasky and Sister Young are great missionaries, and it was interesting seeing what their pool was like. Also, I tried to speak some Chinese (Sister Young is in the Chino program). It was fun getting to see some Chinese speakers! I really miss my mixed Chino-Spanish district from my first transfer. I actually got to see Elder Brenkman, my first Chinese-speaking District Leader, at Sister McDowell's temple trip, which was awesome!

[Side note: That poor elder! He was sent away from Dyker in Brooklyn to whitewash (start a new teaching pool with no companion to stay behind to show him the area) in Flushing, where he had never once gone. Besides that, he is training a new missionary from Hong Kong who speaks very little English and he is District Leader of his new area, of which area he knows little to nothing. I can't imagine how stressful that would be! I didn't hear him complain, though, so evidently all is well.]

After exchanges, we ate hot chocolate that burned all the taste buds off of my tongue (it was made with Mexican chocolate though, so...), and met a lady with around 30 cats. Oh dear. Then a pit bull barked at me for twenty minutes while I sat, only kind of paralyzed in fear. She was 'harmless' apparently. Just a 'little sweet darling'. Her eyes said otherwise...
What the huge moon looked like two weeks ago here in New York, even though this picture probably isn't in New York.

Christmas Tree and Ana Perez at church! She is a stud.

Thanksgiving:

On Thanksgiving we had a zone activity in Jamaica! It was fun... I think. I'm not very sporty, so the first two hours of playing volleyball were kinda okay. I couldn't really hit it, or serve it, and it was kinda humiliating since like 30 missionaries were there... including the assistants who are in our zone (and live just a couple streets over from us). They came in right as I was serving, and since I don't have an awful lot of arm strength I held the ball in both hands and threw it overhead, then Elder Parrish who is like 6' 8" grabbed it with his fingertips and tossed it back, not knowing that it was my serve and not an accidental toss to the other side... awkward. Elders Sirrine, Palmer, Benitez, and other assorted players covered my spot at all times. I stood there and moved when the ball came my way... But I was doing great in knockout! Basketball has always been a top choice of mine. It was fun to hang out with other missionaries and chat and have a nice bit of downtime. Especially on Thanksgiving!
I spent some time in the candy cane forest. 
We wrote chalk graffiti on a potentials doorstep so she could #LightTheWorld!
Darling Relief Society President who fed us dinner.
On Sunday Allan Poe came to church again! Yes! He is doing so well! Progressing every day. In addition, many of our investigators are choosing to read the scriptures and keep commitments which makes me thrilled.

The blind will see:

One last story. I had the unique opportunity to see what was a very special experience for me.

First a few verses in KJV of the New Testament in Mark 10:

"49 And Jesus stood still, and commanded him to be called. And they call the blind man, saying unto him, Be of good comfort, rise; he calleth thee.

50 And he, casting away his garment, rose, and came to Jesus.

51 And Jesus answered and said unto him, What wilt thou that I should do unto thee? The blind man said unto him, Lord, that I might receive my sight.

52 And Jesus said unto him, Go thy way; thy faith hath made thee whole. And immediately he received his sight, and followed Jesus in the way."

We showed the video Light The World on Friday to an investigator and her family who were visiting for Thanksgiving. The daughter, who is blind and feels around mostly, but has just a small bit of blurry vision left of her eyes, stood around the iPad screen as I cradled it in my hands, showing the video. Her father, surprised she was standing there I believe, asked, "¿Puede verlo?" Her face showed surprise and she said, "Sipapa, claro! It's so clear, it's like a miracle! I can see." Her surprised face leaned in as she took in the fact that for once she could see. Tears filled my companion and I's eyes. Not seconds later in the video was a clip of Christ healing a blind man.

I can't imagine it being a coincidence that she was able to see for just a few moments while the video played. As she said, I imagine that miracles aren't a thing of the past but happen in our lives today. Miracles happen through faith in our Lord.
And I found #BeYourBestSelf from Distinguished Young Women here in New York! I love DYW!


My choicest blessings on each of you. May miracles fill your lives and happiness and angels encircle you as you go about the beginning of this season of the year.

My dearest love,

Hermana Ally Voss

No comments:

Post a Comment