Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge

Sunday, January 1, 2017

A Christmas Present

I found a Maryland Ave!
Most of you won't even believe how crazy my week has been. Exciting, emotional, scary, joyful, and everything in between.

Companion News:

Transfers are tomorrow and I am simply terrified to say that we learned this morning that Sister McDowell is leaving me! She has been in the area for seven and a half months, so it was a wonderful help to have her here with me, but I know this is a change the Lord put in place for a reason. I look forward to the adaptations that are soon to come.

Abnormal Car Problems:

We had a minor car upset this week. That is, a car merged into us. Our car is very much ugly and scraped and missing a side view mirror, but we are fine. We were driving through Garden City in bumper-to-bumper traffic in the right lane and a white van decided it was a good idea to pull over straight into us. There was unfortunately a pole on the curb next to us, so we couldn't pull off the road to avoid damage, so instead the car scraped right against us, trapping our car in between the curb and the van. We called the police, got the police report, and are getting a loaner Chevy on Tuesday for a couple of weeks. And on Saturday, our tire blew on the freeway. It was kind of exciting actually. We were driving from Glen Cove to Mineola on the freeway and our car started to sound a bit like a Harley Davidson. This was slightly concerning, especially when the tire began to smoke. We pulled off and onto a side street and the elders... well, Elder Brown really, helped us change the tire to a spare. We then spent a rather boring four hours at Pep Boys replacing the spare. (The Navy-Army game was on...not that I watched any of it, but good work to the Army.)
Messed up Scotty Corolli. 
Zone Training Pictures.
My favorite Peruvian investigators at church.
Missionary Work:

Our investigators are doing very well. A darling husband, wife, and their son came to church this week. They are Peruvian, and my absolute favorites. They loved church, and look forward to coming again. They have come several times before, but haven't come in around a month, so it is amazing that they have renewed their commitment to church. Allan Poe is trying to live the Word of Wisdom right now, and doing super well! We dropped him off some hot cocoa and angelitos (marshmallows).

Christmas Gifts:

I received a darling package from my family this week that had many presents, a Christmas pickle to preserve tradition, an orange, letters, candy canes, a beautiful advent calendar (literally - an advent calendar of makeup products), and so many other things. How did I receive this? We picked up a call from one of the Assistants to the President Elder Ko saying that they met my dad and were bringing me my package. Which was sweet, of course, because I could have waited to get the package, but instead they brought it straight to me that night and delivered it in person.

Now, for the part that even writing will get me emotional. Immediately after I opened my package, we had a call from the zone leaders. Elder Garza asked if I would be willing to play cello at the Christmas Devotional for the mission. I said yes, very tightly of course, and then hung up because I was already crying. Sister McDowell smiled at me and said President Reynolds had been planning this for over a month. He mentioned it in her interview with him. I couldn't believe it. That he should care so much for me and have such an overwhelming amount of love for me is indescribable. I cannot put into words how much happiness it gives me that he had the thought to give me the gift of playing a cello for Christmas. The next morning I got a call from Sister Reynolds asking what size cello she should rent. I cannot believe their love for me. President and Sister Reynolds are such examples for me. I hope one day to care for and serve individuals around me as do they. I love them so much. So, so much.
Celebrating Sister McDowell's 21st early
Picture of us with our branch president and his wife. A pregnant
woman was taken out of the apartment in an ambulance just before this
picture was taken...
Christmas thought:

"Once in our world a stable had something in it bigger than our whole world." -C.S. Lewis

Christ is the gift. His humble birth is a reminder that no matter our circumstances, we can overcome all through Christ. As we strive to follow him we learn we can become all he wants for us and more.

Peace on earth, goodwill to men!

Love,

Hermanita Ally Voss

No comments:

Post a Comment