Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge

Saturday, October 1, 2016

Brooklyn is an Adventure!

“All the easy things that the Church has had to do have been done. From now on, it’s high adventure, and followership is going to be tested in some interesting ways.” -Neal A. Maxwell
Brooklyn Bridge
It's difficult to believe how quickly things occur when one is on a mission. This week I visited the Brooklyn Bridge, saw a bus fight, moved apartments and church buildings, had a driving test, set off a smoke detector, shattered a mirror, watched Women's Conference (In English, not Spanish, which is a first for church here!) broke in new shoes, ate authentic gelato, and so many more things.
First of all, downtown Brookyln and the Brooklyn Bridge are amazing, I highly recommend the experience! We went on a stormy Monday, so there really wasn't anyone there which was beautiful. Seeing the city from that close is tantalizing and awe-inspiring. Seeing the innumerable skyscrapers and people, seeing the water, the Statue of Liberty, walking along the bridge and looking down, across, up, sideways, and just appreciating the grandeur of everything was breathtaking. I wished I could stand there all day and drink it all in. There is so much to see, so much to do, so much potential, so many fulfilled dreams and uncountable dreams yet to be fulfilled. The world is such an inspiring place.




Also, walking along the cobblestone on the shore by the.... Hudson River I believe? Well, that was just beautiful. New York may seem big or outlandish or crazy, but to me it all feels so close now. Everything is just a subway or bus ride away. It reminds me of a line in Peter Pan, where he says the directions to Neverland are to go to the "second star to the right and straight on till morning!" Now that I know the public transportation well, I find myself thinking "second N train on the left and straight on till Coney!" Life is quite the adventure, but at least it's an interesting one!
On Tuesday we moved apartments from Bay Ridge to Bensonhurst. It was absolutely insane, and since the Sister Training Leaders were in the leadership training later than they expected, we moved them as well. We certainly got a workout in, to say the very least. The mini miracle, though, was that instead of having to try to take everything on the busses, like we planned, a member of the Chinese ward offered to help us move since she is one of the few members with a car in this area! It was a heaven send, and instead of the probably 3-4 trips we would have had to take, we took all of ours *and* the sister training leaders items in 2 round trips.
Our new apartment reminds me a lot of the 'Yellow House' as my family calls it, or our old 1105 Rosemont Avenue Frederick, Maryland house! It is an old colonial with a red door, green rafters, huge pine trees, and a wrought iron gate. It even has two pedestals on either side with frogs, and we have a lovely outdoor patio (ideal for determining weather when we don't actually want to truly go outside yet). It has bright teal walls, a rather interesting tiled green bathroom with a marble-patterned toilet, and is complete with woodwork and creaky floors, a set of bedroom blinds I've managed to accidentally pull down, and a fully-functional smoke detector. (Note to self: when making pancakes without butter, do not use coconut oil as a substitute). I also managed to shatter a mirror by turning the blinds to the patio so that the sunlight came into our exercise room. The sunlight came down into our room all right, and the full-length mirror resting against the blinds did, too. We flipped it over, put two garbage bags over it and taped it with painting tape, sweeping up the shards.My mother would have been very proud with how we handled it, I'm sure. :)
Our apartment/house (not the whole house is ours, that'd be insane, we have  half the 1st level) :)






WE HAVE A SPANISH DISTRICT!
I am pleased to say we received a new set of Spanish Élderes, Élder Pavón and Élder Oaks! Élder Weisler was named District Leader for our district, and we are excited to have yet again three sets of missionaries in our ward. The ward is thrilled as well, given it has been about five months since they have had this many missionaries. We hope to really push the work along as we all aid to strengthen the church in Brooklyn.
DSW, The oldest subway car I have ever seen
All day every day we work. And we love it. We talk to everyone, we spread the message of our Lord, and we hope for interest and investigators. One interesting experience happened when I had to go to the restroom something dreadful while we were walking 5th Ave. I said, "I give up! Let's go in the McDonalds, I'll use the bathroom and buy something." As I came downstairs, I went to buy three cookies. I didn't actually want said cookies, I only went to use their facilities, but I noticed my compañera talking to a family after I got my order. I joined, and not too long after I asked their names. After I said my name, a beggar came up to us. Only, I didn't recognize him as a beggar, I thought he was just a Hispanic man who was interested in our conversation. Before he got a syllable out, I asked, "¿como se llama?" (What's your name) Extraordinarily uncomfortable he shifted a bit. By this point, I still wasn't aware he was a beggar, but I proffered him the unwanted cookies not a second after I asked his name and asked if he wanted some. By this point the man was beyond confused but rejected my cookies (his loss). My compañera quickly handed him a Mormon.org card, she recognizing his intentions of wanting money, and said, "take this, it's better than money. It's salvation!" At which point I yet again offered the cookies, and the man walked away, disappointed and very much not in control of the situation. It reminded me that truly I am indescribably lucky to get the sustenance I need, and more so the spiritual sustenance every man on this earth needs. And it made me sad that addictions and substance dependence lead some people to forget the importance of spiritual matters as they all to often ask or expect that which they don't need to lead a happy life.
Speaking of happiness, Hermana Gourley and I found an authentic Italian Bakery which sold gelato. It was pure, blissful happiness. One of the perks of living in such a diverse area is all of the genuinely different cultures and the food that comes with them!
We love authentic gelato!

Enjoyed taking selfies while eating dinner near the bishop's storehouse :-)

Walking along the shore, a guy gave us free drinks at Shake Shack even when we basically threw our cards at him and acted concerned and confused, but my root beer was dang good.
We went to Chick Fil A! One of only two in our entire mission!
Oh, also, apparently our Spanish is good enough that people have actually begun asking which country we are from. I get asked if I am a Spaniard a decent bit (two times this past week), which is fun. :) I'm certainly not, but I enjoy the compliment!
The highlight of my week was Women's Conference with a dinner before for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. I loved hearing from Elder Uchtdorf, and the three wonderful women who spoke. The music numbers, especially, touched me. I was, as I always am, profoundly moved by the hymn How Firm a Foundation. "I will not, I can not, desert to [God's] foes. That soul, though all Hell should endeavor to shake, I'll never no never no never forsake." I am so glad for my opportunity to serve a mission for my Savior and share His Message. His gospel is at the very heart of existence. I certainly never will forsake!
There are difficult things about missions, though. There always are. One for me is the food. The dinner before conference was a stake activity planned by an English Ward, I believe, so we had a buffet-style food array. I love serve-yourself situations, since I get it so rarely in Hispanic culture. Hispanics have delicious food very often, yet I am all-together too picky so unfortunately I fear I don't appreciate it often enough. I ate more than I would normally, I think, since food tastes better when one serves oneself what and how much they enjoy. I am working on liking eating at members' home, in fact if I am completely honest I might say it has been the greatest trial for me so far on my mission. I get nauseous and light-headed at the very thought of our dinner appointments.... One of my great many thorns in the flesh.
Manhattan Bridge in background
I know so many of you have trials and struggles in your lives that are obnoxious and crazy and ridiculous and more difficult than mine. So, as a word of comfort, I'll share something my grandpa likes to say every time I see him. "Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, it's not the end!"
I love you all! So much. I pray for all of you and your well-being and happiness. If everything isn't okay right now, remember it will be in the end! :)
¡Buena suerte en todo que haces!
Todo mi amor,
Hermana Ally Voss
How Amazon packages get around once they get to our missionaries...
Checking out shoes at DSW

No comments:

Post a Comment