Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge

Wednesday, November 30, 2016

From the Quaint Town of Mineola

Well, I transferred!

In other words, Brooklyn is a dream. And now I am here in lovely Mineola in Nassau County, NY with Hermana McDowell. Mineola is the central point of our hugoginormous area. Our area includes the darling Port Washington, beautiful Long Beach, ravishing Great Neck, colorful Little Neck, glorious Glen Cove, happening Hempstead (also a little bit ghetto, but you didn't hear that from me), fashionable Freeport, comely Garden City, and of course the splendiferous Mineola. (Oh, and that's a real word. My new favorite, naturally.)

My Awesome New Companions
We only cover some of those areas if there is a need for us, since we are the only Spanish sisters for both the Mineola and Freeport Spanish branches. However, since I have come here, there has been a need for us in each of those areas which is most excellent. We went to Port Washington (which is my favorite place now) to visit an investigator. The bay is jaw-dropping and the little downtown is a picture out of something from the early 1900s. Also Long Beach is exactly what I would picture a beach in New York to be and I love crossing the little strip of water to get to it. Going island jumping makes my heart happy.

Hermana McDowell is from Gilbert, Arizona and is a total sweetheart. She plays soccer, sings with me, is smiley, and I love her. She is so nice and sneaky. If I go to the bathroom in the morning after my prayer, my bed is made. When I do my makeup I come out and my breakfast is sitting on a plate. Things like that every day. I love her. She is possibly the most charitable person anywhere. I anticipate fully enjoying this transfer.

There's so much to say! To start last Monday Hermana Gourley and I made caramel apples for super preparation day. Basically we were locked in from 6 o clock and on. And on Tuesday I made my final trek from Brooklyn to Queens for transfers. I just adore the D train and going above ground over the Manhattan bridge. It is my favorite thing! As we cross over we can see the skyline of Manhattan and the water and the Statue of Liberty. It's basically a wonderland. I adore it. Speaking of wonderlands, it's November now which means: it's almost Christmas! Hermana McDowell and I are super excited!
Our last subway ride together
Caramel apples with Hermana Gourley on super p-day


I really do love it here in Mineola. We live in a nice part near a school. The church is super tiny and there's not even a chapel. It's just a decently long room with chairs set up and a pulpit and table for the sacrament. We have two electric pianos for the capilla. Humble, but perfectly darling I think.

Pretty much the gist of our area.
Our apartment is nice, probably as big as my last apartment in the city, with less high of ceilings. Hermana McDowell loves to cook, so we just went to Costco to buy all the desires of our heart, and we have been very house wifey this week! Basically in the last six days I have cooked more than in the last three months. Hermana Gourley and I just ate quesadillas. All the time. Here we have made actual meals. That is, when the members don't feed us.

So since being on my mission, I just don't like food quite as much, especially in the Hispanic culture where we eat as much for one meal as I would want to eat in a day. I mean I like the food itself. Just not the quantities in which we eat it. I ate four and a half huge pupusas the other day. And I've eaten probably a thousand calories in candy in the last week... it's a problem.
Food we got from service at a Bishop's storehouse arrangement here in Little Neck.

House wifey dinners


Make do college style hot dogs with hamburger buns.
Being in a driving area is very different from what I'm used to with busses and subways. We have this little speed monitor thing that they put in every church missionary car called Tiwi. It says things like, "check your speed" every five minutes. Tiwi makes sure we are safe and sheltered and never ever get a speeding ticket. So we can be good Mormon missionaries who are very law-abiding.
Days one and three in the car

We have several excellent investigators here. One has quit smoking after thirteen years. He is on his eighth day of not smoking! Also a cute couple whose baptism date is in two weeks! I am so excited for them! We are meeting with several other amazing recent converts and investigators as well. This area is booming!
And we GOT LLAMA SWEATERS FROM PERU (Chompas) from a recent convert who said her daughter won't wear them. We are in love with them.



Scenic East Coast highways with pretty autumn colors.


Final spiritual thought/tribute:

Thank you to my parents for being such wonderful member missionaries. As I work with members here and see how a missionary like me can work with the members to find people to teach, I remember the example of my family. I remember helping Miss Mary to be baptized and helping her find the light and truth of the gospel. I remember Andy when my dad was Young Men's President. I remember my sister's friend, and I remember inviting every possible member of my social circle to church, dances, mutual, and events put on by the church. I remember how hard I worked to be an example, and sharing the gospel at every opportunity. I would talk about religious themes at lunch, I had to stand up and walk out of class several times when non-professional or vulgar material was shown, and I tried to stand as a firm example of my faith and my beliefs. One of the greatest blessings I have felt is the fact that in going from member missionary to full-time missionary, I honestly haven't noticed too great of a change. There is a lot that is different, yes, but there is also a whole lot that is exactly the same. And I attribute my attitude toward member missionary work to my parents and the spirit of my home Ward (Frederick 1st). And I want people here to reach out and talk about this gospel, and it is so difficult sometimes, but I encourage every single one of you to try to do something to share the glorious message of Christ and the gospel this week. No matter how small! Even if it is simply praying to have an opportunity to share the gospel. When members and missionaries unite, the work of the Lord progresses far more rapidly than it possibly could otherwise. Our Mission Vision in the New York New York South mission states: "members are the key." I testify that you are.

Have a blessed week,

Hermana Ally Voss

No comments:

Post a Comment