Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge

Saturday, November 12, 2016

"Hermana Voss: OUT."

Hola mis guapos y bonitos amigos,

Big news! I am leaving Brooklyn! Evidently the Lord needs me elsewhere, because this morning we connected to the conference call that determined our destinies and, to the surprise of all in our district and zone, Zone Leader Elder Morris declared, "Hermana Voss: OUT." I'm glad Hermana Gourley will be staying to continue the work here, and I'm sad to be thrust out of the Promised Land like this, but I know the Lord has more work for me in Lamanite territory (or wherever I'll be serving next!) I'll stroll into transfers tomorrow and walk out with a new compañera and a new area. It's exciting! And scary. (How appropriate, given it's Halloween today!)
When the N Train runs the D Train line and we have no idea what is going on

It's that time of year folks - sunny and 70° one day and rainy, windy and 35° the next. Also, apparently not the ideal time to get one's flu shot. I got it last Monday and it really does appear that I'm quite under the weather. :/ alas.

"Four seconds left. WE CAN DO IT, LET'S GO!" *runs across intersection that's about a block long, leaving my Compañera no choice but to follow*

In case the casual reader is wondering, this is our go-to approach when we see Hispanics. If they're on the other side of the street, we will normally sprint to the end of the block and walk normally on the other side to maintain a cool and casual appearance so that we can talk to them. The huffing and puffing normally just blends in with the mediocre Spanish so they don't notice it's odd.

My Spanish is still doing rather well, though. :) Most people we talk to say, "hablan bien el Español." (they speak Spanish well) It's one of our most effective marketing tools; the fact that two white, blue-eyed girls with crazy hair and overly-large smiles walk up to Hispanics and start speaking with them in their language. They are typically a bit confused and taken aback (which is most excellent, if they stop and don't speak then we can stop with them and start talking about our message).
Me in front of our rad apartment!

Singingggg in the rain, just singing in the rain!

Me enjoying the splendors of the D Train one last time!
Speaking of our wonderful Hispanics, we visited one of my favorite families in the Ward this week, the Arvisus! So basically their food is always top-notch. This week they fed us Abuelitas hot cocoa with cinnamon and pastries while it was pouring rain and 30° outside. In weeks past they have fed us their Arv Mexican brownies and banana bread of some sort and pretty much I go into a food coma (a delicious one) every time I go over.

Also, one of my favorite experiences this week was getting a call in the middle of studies by a less active asking if we could go over in 45 minutes. Despite the fact that we weren't fully dressed, and it took 40 minutes to get there, and we hadn't finished studies, we miraculously made it over and administered to her needs. By the time she asked us to be there, even!
Breadberry = Jewish Costco
And Lenny's pizza is our favorite! Especially since the Hispanic staff call us their amigas!
"Life is Pain", but it's a lot less painful with the gospel.
As good citizens, we make it a point to not be litterbugs. We prefer being litterbugs, thank you very much.
We have long thought this sign awkward and felt it was at last time to reenact it.
Funny Stories:

We went with Elder Creager and Elder Weisler to a sick less active lady at NYU-Lutheran hospital and here is a short transcript of of seeing a nun:

*Sees nun when walking up to NYU-Lutheran Hospital on Saturday to give blessings and lessons*

Hermana Gourley: "The hills are alive with the sound of mu-----"

Me: "AHHHHHHHHHHH--------"

Elder Weisler: *gets reference* *beams*

Elder Creager: *what on earth are you doing* *why are you singing* *why did we get the weird sisters* *stop*

Elder Creager is out of Brooklyn too, though, so he won't have to worry about Hna. Gourley and I's weirdness much longer!

-Hermana Gourley went up to a lady and said, "Hola, me llamo Hermana Voss" yesterday. I was so confused I just stuttered and furrowed my brow until she realized her mistake and corrected herself! Haha

-Light was coming in from one window in our apartment on Friday. So I naturally declared, "but soft! What light through yonder winder breaks!" And then my compañera and I died on the floor. Mistakes made when quoting Shakespeare *seam* to be the best. *ba dum tsh* (reference to second pun can be found in Hamlet)
Ward Missionary Activity
When we found out we would be splitting...
-The stars aligned so that I was walking up to the D train platform while a Jew wearing his pinecone hat walked below me. I got an aerial view of a pinecone hat and it's hollow center - I feel blessed beyond measure. I also wish I knew the proper name so I didn't sound so uneducated. :/  (Editors note: Shtreimel)

Happiest of Halloweens to all you folks. Don't forget about the best ghost - the Holy Ghost - and it's empowering influence in your life! ;)

A soon-to-be non-Brooklynite,

Hermana Ally Voss

No comments:

Post a Comment