Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge

Sunday, February 19, 2017

"You can judge the other person... together"

Well, transfers have come yet again! It feels weird for me, since I was only kind of in my area. Also, you probably all feel like I was just talking about transfers. I swear this doesn't normally happen. Anywho, I'm in Mineola again as anticipated!
Gold lips, delicious food!

I really, really enjoyed my last week with Sister Tarnasky and Sister Valverde. I love so much about each of them. Sister Tarnasky and I harmonize in companionship study (and every other moment of the day when we sing). We sing Disney, Princess and the Pauper, church music, classical music, what have you. Sister Valverde understands my passion for classical music and we talk about our travels and where we want to go/live some day. We also discuss the Spanish program and how hilarious Hispanics can be. The fact that they both served in Bermuda for six months of their missions is interesting. I feel like I've lived in Bermuda through their experiences. I may never serve in Bermuda, but maybe one day I'll get to visit!

As this transfer comes to a close, I think about all the amazing people I've come to know. Serving in Little Neck was fun because I got to meet a lot of the English members in this area. The diversity in English-speakers always astounds me. I talked to military families, many families who are doing residencies, a darling young woman who lives up at the Merchant Marine Academy, Hispanic families, Filipino families, etc.

One of my favorite adventures of this week was visiting our member at the U.S. Merchant Marines Academy. As we drove in to the academy I saw the buildings and was immediately in awe. Marble buildings, a hall with flags that could have been straight out of Harry Potter, chapels and overlooks and huge open spaces for drills. Academic buildings, lovely dorms, statues and plaques. And yet, it was absolutely nothing compared to face when I saw the view over the ocean. Looking from Great Neck into Manhattan is a sight to behold - especially in the evening when the city is lit up. We viewed bridges that shone like stars, I saw skyscrapers illuminated against a stark black background. The water rippled and the boats in the harbor bobbed. It felt like a scene out of a movie. Seeing students walk around in uniform was especially beautiful. Their dedication to their country and to their education is amazing. They go over sea, they learn, they work, and they serve wholeheartedly. We were talking with our member a bit and she excitedly said she wanted to show us the chapel. It was a very reverent moment as we walked into the tall, majestic, pure white chapel. We stood silently as we took in the lit chapel in the dark and soundless night. I slowly turned so that I could see all of it. In hushed tones it was explained that every member of the academy who had died overseas was written in a book on the pulpit, and the pages were turned each day so that every person might have the chance to be seen. I thought that was lovely. I walked away from our visit to the Academy with so much respect for our military and what they do. God bless them. It reminded me of a quote by Elder Ballard, "Small events and choices determine the direction of our lives just as small helms determine the direction of great ships."

A couple of days ago we did an exchange with a trio of Korean sisters. So, as one might suppose, there were six of us. It was interesting making the trip work, but somehow we figured it out. We split the trios into our two areas as we worked. Sister Yu is amazing. We did a lot of knocking, and we actually taught a lesson in my pool (so in Spanish). Sister Yu had absolutely no idea what was going on, but she said that she felt the spirit, which I think is awesome. Even though we don't all speak the same language, we can all understand the language of the spirit.
The French Workshop in Flushing.
On our exchange we also went to an amazing bakery. If you are ready for a stellar recommendation here it is: The French Workshop. I had a creme brûlée which was simply to die for. Sister Valverde ate an oreo cheesecake. This place is so classy that they paint your plates with gold. It was really fun, actually, because the gold was liquid so we took the gold and painted it on our lips like lipstick. We even have pictures for evidence!

Another awesome part about this week was reflecting on Edgar's baptism and seeing him be confirmed a member. The reception of the gift of the holy ghost is so important, and seeing Edgar take that huge step was simply amazing. Having the spirit with us constantly reminds us what we have the obligation to do and will 100% always warn us if we are entering into a dangerous situation.
Me and my dear companions! Love them both!
Korean-Spanish-English Squad.
We also have a member who is planning on going to the temple for her endowments soon and we just finished teaching her the last temple preparation course! I am so excited for her and hope she will be able to attend before she leaves for a vacation to visit her family in her country.The temple is truly the goal of each member of the church, and if you have not been I wholeheartedly encourage you to be worthy of a temple recommend and go. "You will come to know that what appears today to be a sacrifice will prove instead to be the greatest investment that you will ever make." -Gordon B. Hinckley.

This week other interesting things happened as well. A Jew who worked as a librarian accepted a Book of Mormon, and we met another Jew who was going to a protest in New York. I'll pretend I know nothing of politics and say I'm not quite sure what about. Perhaps something pertaining to women's rights or some sort. In addition, I drove to Flushing a good bit, I saw seven investigators in different pools go to church, I got a bit sick (common cold), and forgot to write in my journal quite a bit.
Serious picture of my district. We called it a mini-zone picture -
there's just so many of us! Also, in conjunction with Sister Valverde
saying "even Hermana Voss looks small next to elder Parrish" Elder
Parrish is in the top right. And is 6'7". I'm 5'4". I think I'm pretty
clearly small next to him haha.
Aren't we so cute?!
I signed the stop sign in the living room of our apartment as per
tradition. Look for me above the P!
I can make soap creations, too! Look at my temple! Isn't it darling?
Most interesting are the hilarious things my companions and I end up saying. The following illustrate the degree of ridiculousness in this trio.

"I don't feel like doing pushups, I'll be a mountain instead." -Me

"You are definitely the only two people I have ever sang classical music with in the car." -Sister Tarnasky

"I love being in a trio!" -Me

"You can judge the other person... together." -Sister Valverde (on Sister Tarnasky making a plain tomato with salt).

"Even Sister Voss looks small next to Elder Parrish!" - Sister Valverde

"I have a soul, but I also steal souls." -Sister Tarnasky (on being a redhead)

"Wait, you have multiple souls? So, you're basically a horcrux." -Me

May your weeks be full of snow and sunshine!

Love,

Hermana Voss

No comments:

Post a Comment