Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge

Saturday, March 4, 2017

Mineola, Round Three!

This week was a normal kind of abnormal. Transfers came and I said a sad goodbye to two darling companions. Being in a trio with them was amazing and I am grateful for that wonderful opportunity which I had. But Mineola needs sisters, and so back we came! On the drive to transfers I was worried about just around everything, but when I got to transfers I received a companion, was told I would drive the car (sweet success), and knew that everything would work out. I felt peace, but concern all the same. I was at peace in that I knew Heavenly Father would never give me a challenge I could not conquer. I was concerned because of the thousands of questions floating around in my mind. How was I to take care of Mineola? How would everything work out? Could I do it all? I mean, I knew I would have a companion, but she doesn't know everyone like I do, so a lot is still on my shoulders.
Our only picture this week - Ally's new companion

Setting that all aside: Sister Fa'ulao is my companion. She is from Utah, but her heritage is Tongan. She is very sweet, loves her family, has a crazy culture, is one of those people who will eat whatever is put in front of her (a talent I've yet to develop), has a lovely voice and should sing quite a bit more, enjoys cleaning, and falls asleep within two seconds of her head touching a pillow. From what I understand she has a sister who is her same age but... isn't her sister... on a mission in Mississippi. In their culture apparently giving away children is normal or something like that, so she doesn't know really who are her siblings or cousins instead. I find that a bit odd, but then again, it works for them!

The worldwide missionary broadcast happened on Tuesday which rocked our little worlds. No nightly planning! Extra time on preparation days! An extra half hour in the morning! What has this world come to?

Luckily, even with the changes we had plenty of time to do missionary work. We took a Young Woman named Elisa out with us to knock. She's kind of an incredible person. We love her. While we knocked we were invited in by a couple of staunch Roman Catholics who had some fascinating doctrinal inquiries. For example, some of the questions were: "What is your opinion on the Mary's ever-virginity? Do animals have consciousness? Prove God exists. How do you know God exists? How can you evangelize if you can't even prove God exists?" -Ani and her slightly less intimidating brother Eddie. Poor Elisa had a honest-to-goodness riveting time knocking. Next time maybe things will be less interesting. We also met an atheist last night who went off about how we were preaching war and told us how awful the work we were doing was. That was kind of sad. But to balance it out we met a Jew who asked us if we wanted water, a drink, or needed anything. He was very kind! Jews have just been so nice to us recently.

The most joyful moment of this week for me happened at church. It was wonderful because I was finally able to see my beautiful Mineola members again. More than that, though, when I saw our member Anita who we are taking to get her endowments I was overjoyed. She said that her Branch President interview with her and her husband had gone splendidly. I beamed so wide my face hurt. Better, the stake president came to set apart our new Elder's Quorum president, and he was able to stay afterward to give Anita her final temple recommend interview! She can go to the temple now! I am thrilled to have the opportunity to attend with her next week and I can't believe the progress she has made in all she has done. The atmosphere in her home has always been a beautiful one, but every time we go over I feel a slight shift. It reminds me of a song I adore which states that, "home can be a heaven in earth when we are filled with love." Her home is becoming a piece of heaven here on earth. I saw the smile on Anita's face and couldn't help but cry a bit when I conducted the final hymn in church, 'Families Can Be Together Forever.' She may not be sealed yet, but I read a promise a member once made to her that as she attends the temple frequently, her husband will come back into the fold. Many promises are indeed in the Lord's timing, but as we do our part, the Lord will never back out on his. Temple blessings are beautiful.

Quotes of the week:

1. "Hermana, the whole world can't make pupusas!" -Hermana Diaz when I slyly commented we had to try her pupusas.

2. "¡Sion es *la iglesia!*" -Hermano Molina in Sunday school.

Sister Herrera *turns to me* "¿Sion es la Puebla de Dios, no?"

"Si, pero está bien...."

*hmph* *turns around*

3. "The most important principle is to use agency to serve the Lord wisely!" -PR on the schedule changes.

4. "¡Hermanita, tú no puedes imaginarlo!" -Anita on how she feels to go to the temple. <3

Deeper quotes to ponder:

"The intellect is not the only source of knowledge." -Gordon B. Hinckley.

"For what you see and hear depends a good deal on where you are standing. It also depends on what sort of person you are." -Clive Staple Lewis.

In these past few weeks I've learned how to know with my heart and I've understood what it is like to hear many things and have to take them from an objective standpoint. Like C.S. Lewis said, what I heard depended on where I was and my character determined how I reacted.

I pray for all of you each day. I can't wait to see what these next few weeks and months bring! Miracles of every kind, I'm sure.

Love, como siempre,

Hermanita Ally Voss

No comments:

Post a Comment