Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge

Sunday, November 5, 2017

Of Lice and Men

October 24th, 2017

Shoutout to my mom who is officially Doctor Voss! Yay, how exciting.

This week many fun things happened. Like interviews, and trainer-trainee meeting, and a bishopric activity, and me getting lice.
A Joyous Reunion!


I have been a bit suspicious since my head has been itchy lately and I didn't want to jump to any irrational conclusions, yet I decided to have Sister Postma check me out at Trainer-trainee meeting just to be sure. She looked at me and didn't see anything, but I was still skeptical. And with good reason!

The next morning my head was quite itchy and to relieve it I moved my brush rather roughly against my scalp. I looked down, and was horrified when I saw insects filled with my blood crawling on it. It was positively awful.

Then, after I got the lice-killing shampoo from Rite Aid I discovered that one can never actually trust Rite Aid because it didn't kill any of the lice. And then I combed through my hair with the nit comb, and combed out hundreds upon hundreds of LIVE lice. Like, they were crawling around on the paper towel where I was depositing them. It was nasty. And they were big. And had my blood in them. Basically, I had blood-sucking parasites on my head (shoutout to Sister Reeve for the parting gift). I would include a picture, but I don't want to scare any children. Also, I was nauseous when I was picking them out, so I didn't actually take a picture.

And then every day since I have been brushing more live lice out of my hair. And washing clothes regularly. It isn't the end of the world, yet it is not quite what I expected to be doing this week!

Cristian came to church again, though! :) And everything else. Basically, he is golden. We love him. The Ward was talking all about him during Ward council and we felt like proud mothers.

I saw Sister Gourley yesterday! Her mom saw me on the street and the Sister Gourley chased after me and gave me a hug. :) I was very grateful to see her and meet her wonderful parents.




Luis and Leo are getting baptized next week in Rego Park!!!! I am so psyched for them!

¡Funnies!

***At trainer-trainee meeting the Assistants came up to me and, laughing, looked slyly at each other and back to me and said, "so... we heard that your first day in Richmond Hill you went knocking in Jew Gardens." And they burst out laughing. 'Jew Gardens' is apparently what all the missionaries term Kew Gardens. The shoe definitely fits, though!

***Also, at trainer-trainee meeting I was scandalized by one of our senior missionaries. I started talking to him about how our Elders needed a new metro card because of really weird circumstances and I began with, "Well, you know Elders. They're pretty irresponsible sometimes. What are you going to do?"

He responded: "well, hopefully you're going to go home and marry one of them!"

"Oh my goodness! Elder_____!" I exclaimed. It was really quite shocking. And then he just started chuckling like a naughty little boy. Elders. *exasperated sigh*. But y'all never fear. My heart is quite locked.

***We spent quite a sum on getting rid of lice and in the process had little money left. Yet, we had an abundant amount of Oreos. Sister Gillespie turned to me and said, "why buy groceries when you have Oreos?" I agreed. One could live on oreos and water, right?

***The nine-year-old we are teaching talking to her friend to invite her to be taught by us:

"Hey you know how I've been talking to the girls who talk about God?"

"Yeah."

"You know how you have anger problems?"

"... yeah."

"You wanna meet with me and them?"

"Yeah."

"Okay."

"Okay."

"Bye."

"Bye."

It was quite a deep conversation, as one could tell.

Spiritual Thought:

D&C 28:16 "And thou must open thy mouth at all times, declaring my gospel with the sound of rejoicing. Amen."

On Sunday I sat next to a Hispanic couple on the bus who were involved in a serious conversation. I hate to be socially inappropriate but I always think about the phrase, "some missionaries are so worried about offending people that in the process they don't save any." So, I opened my mouth! Maravelli was from Ecuador and used to investigate and even had a baptismal date it sounded like. She described the Elders as having been like sons to her. She wanted to have us over and when I gave her the Book of Mormon she looked at it like the priceless book it is and said, "I have missed this book so much."

The Book of Mormon is true! And we need to open our mouths. :)

Love,

Hermana Ally Voss

No comments:

Post a Comment