Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge

Sunday, December 10, 2017

Light The World! Year Two.

11/27/17

How many dinners did I eat on Thanksgiving? 2.

One was supposed to be a dessert appointment, but you know Dominicans. The first dinner was just about the most delicious thing ever. The turkey was cooked to perfection. And... you can call me Hispanic. But rice with Thanksgiving dinner made it like 5x better. I can't even imagine a day without rice anymore. The second dessert appointment was just as fabulous. Kathy's brownies are legendary for a reason. And Martha's Bakery pies? They can make a full-grown man cry. The flan? To die for. In fact, I was so full when I was eating it that I actually worried about dying for a moment.
One of the many meals...


How many dinners did I eat the day following Thanksgiving? 3.

Two Mexican and an El Salvadorian. Lots of Turkey, yum. I almost felt like popping, and I am sure that I gained a few pounds, but it's okay... I wanted a rounder face anyways.

The following day? 1.

Luckily only one, but it was a breakfast appointment and they fed us lasagna, and I was still full from the night before! I am currently still full from the weekend's meals.

What did we do on Turkey day?

A turkey bowl! All of the missionaries in my zone got together for an activity and we played sports all day. From football, to soccer, and ultimate frisbee. I wasn't very good, as normal, but even though I was only a space filler it was still really fun! Especially the football!
Turkey Bowl!
We wore matching ugly Christmas sweaters.
How did a seven-year-old almost strangle me?

Well. After Thanksgiving dinner we shared a message. It was Light The World. And then the six-year-old wanted to say the prayer. And the seven-year-old was sitting next to me. The moment after the prayer began I felt a hand -BOOM- on my shoulder. It would have made me scream but it was small enough that I knew it was him. I stayed silent, not wanting to interrupt the prayer. The hand began to move into my neck towards my scarf. I tried not to laugh as he tangled his hand in my scarf for around ten seconds. I was befuddled, then amused. He then suddenly grabbed my scarf with his hand in a fist around it, and by this point I was all definitely on the brink of laughing. And with my scarf now hostage, he yanked it towards him. And naturally my head was connected to my scarf so I came along with it! The prayer ended in this awkward moment with the seven-year-old holding me hostage as the entire family opened their eyes. The reaction was hilarious. The parents scolded as the siblings laughed. Hermana Gillespie had closed her eyes late at the beginning and had seen the hand snatch my shoulder so she was on the floor dying. It was a somewhat hilarious moment.

How much food did you eat?

A dropped investigator had an uncomfortable run-in with us. Uncomfortable because he had been ignoring us (yikes). We asked questions about his Thanksgiving and he responded oddly. When asked about if he ate a lot he responded, "there was so much food at my house. Like, a ton. I think there was enough to feed two people." We followed up by talking about how fat we felt and he said, "yeah, I think I gained like a pound." All I can say is that I wish I only gained a pound! ;) I didn't even realize the oddness of his responses in the moment! I think I am so prone to be dramatic and exaggerate and hearing Hispanics be dramatic that to hear somebody not exaggerate was hilarious.

How did we #LightTheWorld?

Well, first of all, have you seen the video?? If not, go to Mormon.org and watch it. RIGHT NOW.

Isn't it awesome? That part when Christ comes in? It makes me tear up every time. It hits me right in the heart.

Well, we lit the world by sharing this video with over 80 people in the last four days. We brought flowers to an investigator in a rehab center. We played our instruments to practice with some singers for a musical number. And my favorite was when we had an investigator who really shared some of her hard times and challenges with us, and we were able to bring her light through the gospel.

How will you #LightTheWorld?

Merry Christmas,

Hermana Ally Voss

P.S. Christmas music has begun.

P.P.S. If everyone could just stop asking me how many days I have left, that would be great.

P.P.P.S. The day before Thanksgiving they lined Jamaica Avenue with Christmas decorations under the train and connected speakers to said Christmas decorations. Now, every single day after sundown they play Christmas music from the megaphone things and it is so festive and wonderful! It's like being in a movie and having background music playing every time I walk down Jamaica.

No comments:

Post a Comment