Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge

Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Happy May Day Dears!

First a funny story that requires a bit of background. In English we frequently use the prefix "un-" to signify reversal of a verb. "Unwind", "untie", "undo", "unkind", "undress", etc. In Spanish it is fairly similar with the prefix "des-". "Deshacer" (undo), "descansar" (unwind), "Desanimar" (depress), "Desaparecer" (disappear), "Desconocido" (unknown), etc.
A cool mural on a rainy day!


So, yesterday we were playing the game, "The Human Knot" or in Spanish "El Nudo Humano." We had played it with a family the night before as well and it was a great success and many people had fun. So we were all knotted up and it was time to unknot ourselves. So naturally if the noun is 'nudo' than un-doing the noun would be 'des-nudar.' Unfortunately what 'desnudar' actually means is to undress, not to untie a knot.

So I mistakenly began, "Okay ahora vamos a desnu-".

I stopped realizing the gravity of the word I was about to say. I stopped, but unfortunately everyone realized I was about to say 'desnudar' and burst out laughing. But what was I supposed to do? The word for knot is 'nudo' so naturally I was just trying to say "unknot!" Oops. It was a memory I'll never forget, though, certainly.

This week we had Mega-Zone which was amazing! Seeing and receiving training from our leaders is one of my favorite things. President Reynolds spoke on the spirit and how we can recognize it and use it. It was lovely and made me think quite a bit about how I might apply the spirit more in all I do.

Some more things we learned from the Assistants Elders Pothier and Weisler (did I mention he was an Assistant now)? Tips for door approaches!

Your first approach:

1. Area management. Stay in one area as much as possible! Focus on one area for an entire week. After one pass go back and talk to the people who didn't respond the first time.

2. One-on-one. Companion stands a couple of feet back where possible. Writing down area management. Looking up a scripture maybe. Very engaged and maybe writing down what they are sharing. But just a bit back. Same in street contacting. One companion lead!

3. Imagine you got a call from them asking to be baptized but it is your first time meeting them. Bold, not overbearing. Be presumptuous.

4. Turn your body to stand with, not against them. Acting comfortable.

5. Screen door they won't open? No problem! Stand close to the glass and then move immediately to the side of the screen door. Start showing him something right in the way of the door seal. They'll see it is out of the way, in front of the door, and then your just right here being friends.

6. "Quien?" (Who?) "Es nosotras!" "Its us!" (Note: we have tried this and it has worked EVERY SINGLE TIME!)
Mega-Zone!
Next, one presents a problem and a solution in a powerful way. And then my favorite part: the transition.

1. The ultimate goal is to make it inside, be their friend. Questions are kryptonite to getting into your home. Don't ask to go in. Explain that you have more to share but it's better to do so inside. "Let's take a seat on the sofa and we can explain a bit more." "Let's take this conversation to a more comfortable venue." DO NOT look at them when you say that. Look inside and lean towards the living room. Outside you're a pest and inside you're a guest.

2. For street contacting, explain that you teach lessons for 15-20 minutes at the person's convenience, say, "lets schedule a time to stop by." DO NOT look at them when you say that.

3. Give them specific options. "Do weekdays or weekends work for you? Friday's Saturday or Sundays? Night or day? We will just call you before to confirm so... your number is 516-...?"

It works! I have only been using this approach for less than a week and already it works so well! Especially when people say, "who?" And we say, "it's us!" Works every time.

The Elders in Freeport had a baptism on Saturday! It was the first baptism in Freeport's branch in well over a year (almost two years) so it was terribly exciting for everyone! Especially since I adore almost every single member in Freeport. I got to see Elisa, Lidia (who gave me the llama sweaters a while back), and a bunch of members I may not have mentioned to you all but who mean a lot to me! It was beautiful. I really enjoyed it.
Clark Botanical Garden Pictures





Today Sister Chung chopped off all her hair! It looks great and it is gorgeous enough almost to inspire me to cut my hair but let's be honest cutting one's hair is too scary and I shan't ever do it. Alas.

Also, the weather here has been crazy. Humid and hot to chilly and cold. Luckily today is pretty so we are going to go to Clark Botanic Gardens.

And we are still trying to find as much as possible, so we can teach repentance and baptism. Pray with us that we can find those who are prepared to hear the gospel!

All my dearest love,

Hermana Ally Voss

No comments:

Post a Comment