Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge

Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Icebreaker

"Sister Chung... as a companionship I think we are having difficulties interrupting our more talkative investigators. Let's do a role play." -Hermana Voss
We found a token of Mineola!


*role plays interrupting talkative Hispanics* (which is easy because Sister Chung is a talkative Hispanic and therefore perfect for the role)

*Goes to lesson. Sister Voss interrupts like a hundred times and Sister Chung looks sympathetically and nods her head at the investigator, never once interrupting but being an angel and letting the investigator talk about her feelings and life story and needs* *Lesson Ends and missionaries are walking home*

"Sister Chung... I thought we were going to interrupt..." - Hermana Voss

"Oh...but I didn't want to be rude... I'll interrupt next time!" -Sister Chung

"Okay." -Hermana Voss

*Companionship Study the next day discussing the importance of keeping our lessons to a respectable length and therefore the need to kindly but firmly interject. Both companions agree to do so and are one in the necessity of such actions*

"So will you interrupt?" -Hermana Voss

"Sure, yes, I will!" -Sister Chung

"Awesome. Okay, now look me in the eyes and tell me that you will interrupt." -Hermana Voss

*Sister Chung gives a deer in the headlights look and frightfully spurts* "I'm not gonna interrupt!"

*awkward silence*

"... well at least you're honest...." -Hermana Voss

Events of the week:

I am terribly sad to see one of my very favorite families move back to their home country of El Salvador. I love them so much and I will miss them dearly. But it is nice to know that if I visit El Salvador I have a home in Santa Ana. <3
Skyping with the Sister Training Leaders
I asked them if they would respond if I sent them a letter yesterday and the sister in question tried to respond, "yes, right away" (in English). The problem was that our brains were still in Spanish mode since we had been talking in Spanish. So it really sounded like she said, "Si claro, güey," which is very informal and was totally unexpected so we had a good laugh about that one! (Translates roughly to, "Yeah of course, dude.")

This week we have been doing a lot of finding to replace a lot of investigators who have drifted off the straight and narrow. It is going well, and we have enjoyed all the new faces.

One of my favorite less active families who I have not seen come to church since December finally came to church again! Success! It is *such* a joy to see those one teaches at church. It is indescribable the happiness that comes from seeing lambs walk back into the fold on their own two feet. And it is even better once one sees how much they enjoy it. I anticipate their rapid re-activation now that they have been spiritually nourished by the good word of God.
I'm basically Tarzan.

Trees are for climbing! (Side note: we also found swings)

Isn't Jackson Ave School gorgeous?
Alma 31:5 says it best: "And now, as the ​​​preaching​ of the ​​​word​ had a great tendency to ​​​lead​ the people to do that which was just—yea, it had had more powerful effect upon the minds of the people than the sword, or anything else, which had happened unto them—therefore Alma thought it was expedient that they should try the virtue of the word of God."

The Animal Question:

Sister Chung used to be a vegetarian so we have been enjoying having an animal rights debate with the Elders. I mostly am on the pro-meat side but ultimately I don't mind which side I am on inasfar as we win the debate. Ethics don't much apply to me here. You animal rights activists out there might enjoy the statements in Leviticus 17, especially verse 10. You meat-lovers pizza types will appreciate Genesis 9:3, D&C 49:18-19, and 1 Tim 4:1-3 (my personal favorite).

I love you all and wish my family a very happy Europe trip starting next week! You all are the best!

Love,

Hermana Ally Voss
At our member's farewell
Some kind of brownie master creation.

No comments:

Post a Comment