Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge

Sunday, October 22, 2017

Perfection Still Pending

October 2nd, 2017

Hello most devoted, loyal fan base,

To summarize my week in three words: sick, surprising, inspiring.

I am greatly saddened to hear of the passing of our dear Elder Hales. He has been an inspiration to us all, and it was precious to me how Elder Andersen read a few of the words that he wished us to hear. My heart goes out to him and his family.
The Reynolds Pamphlet. 1782. Okay jk just exchanges with one of the most perfect women in the world aka Sister Reynolds. "Were you surprised when your husband was called to be a mission president?" "Well... no. I mean, he's always been amazing. People always told me he would be one."
This week I encountered some mission-changing news! President called me on a Friday and made me aware that the Lord has decided I am to train a new missionary blinded in to Richmond Hill (Mission Lingo: Blinded in. Definition: thrown carelessly into a different area, of the which you know nothing. No foresight included). Granted, I can't say I did not ask for it. I may or may not have mentioned that I would be more than happy to train, and I perhaps mentioned that Richmond Hill was a successful area, and why not put in Sisters? So, I definitely put myself knowingly into this situation.... Be careful for what you wish for!

For the first time, I had an opportunity to go on exchanges with Sister Reynolds! It was so pleasant and after visiting a new mom in our ward we went to the Cheesecake Factory for a magnificent lunch. The Cobb salad was possibly the largest salad that I have ever laid eyes on and was very filling and extraordinarily delicious. The time that we had to speak with Sister Reynolds was like gold, so precious and rare. I am so grateful and know that she does all she can to help us missionaries.
Why am I always the shortest?
Sister McDowell leaves tomorrow and takes part of my heart with her❤️
I also caught the plague this week. And we found out that Sister Reeve has been living with a bug-infested head for the last five months. The lice shampoo smelled pleasantly of evergreens.

In the words of my dearest companion:

"ok this is a good one. So nearly 5 months ago, back when i was with Hma Vaughn in Brentwood, my head started itching SO BAD like ALL THE TIME. And I was convinced I had lice so I had the mission nurse check it out and she said that I was clean and lice-free and that I should change my shampoo and the itching would go away. Well fast forward until last week when after 5 months of itching, I finally gave up hope that it was ever gonna go away by itself and caved in and called the doctor. We went in and it took her about 0.2 seconds to figure out that i had LICE! FOR REALS! So gross! So basically i got this crazy shampoo that is basically just like putting straight up pesticides in your hair and left it in for 12 hours and then Hma Voss and I combed out all the dead bugs from my hair. It was awesome. Highlight of my week for sure."
Marcia ❤️❤️
I scream, you scream, we all scream for papusas!
My cold medicine, however, tasted like fake cherry poison. Moreover, my cough sounds like I'm choking on a rag. But, all is well.

Conference was wonderful the other day. To quote a few powerful words (please take these as more like approximate quotes):

"Salvation is an individual matter; exaltation is a family matter." -someone quoted by Elder Oaks

"We must internalize the Character of Christ.... we can not be content with remaining where we are." -D. Todd Christofferson

"Here in mortality perfection is still pending," quoted by Jeffrey R. Holland.

"He loves to be with us." -Elder Rasband.

"Make time and take time to come and know your Savior." -Jean B. Bingham

"Remember to put Jesus Christ at the center of your life today." -W. Craig Zwick

"It is clear that hard is good." -Stanley G. Ellis ('For evil to prevail all that is necessary is that good men do nothing.')

Take care and I will tell you how lost I get this week on the next episode of: Adventures in Queens, New York. ;)

Love,

Hermana Ally Voss

No comments:

Post a Comment