Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge

Monday, September 4, 2017

How Far Away Does That Plane Look?

¡Hola Familia!

One year ago today (August 8th) a slightly scared, but very excited, missionary stepped off a stairway in LaGuardia into New York. Today the same missionary, now confident and excited, awaits a temple trip into Manhattan.
Pretty sure the BOM is the most Legendary of all.


Have I really been in New York for a year? Have *we* really been in New York for a year? (Shoutout to everyone who came in with me). Impossible! Theoretically a year ago today I was in the mission home with no idea that I was about to go into Brooklyn for my training experience with Sister Gourley. No idea that a year later I would be in Rego Park. I am so grateful for this year. A celebratory temple trip is a perfect way to commemorate the occasion, with many of my beloved fellow missionaries accompanying me. :)

With the nostalgia of looking back on my mission, I want to share how much I will miss my trainer Sister Gourley as she leaves the mission for her home. A year ago tomorrow we got lost, locked out, and rescued by Elder Creager and Elder Weisler (bless their hearts). Sis. Gourley helped me learn how to be an obedient and hard-working missionary, and got me through those first few months wonderfully. Sister Gourley has made such a difference in my mission. :) I love her.
Shout Out to Sis Gourley!
In terms of housekeeping, we only got second to the Elders for the Clean Home Award in Zone 5. (Get it? Housekeeping? Like, legitimate housekeeping??)
This was supposed to be a really nice Manhattan skyline picture but
the Elder Creager's face got in the way. :/
We ate Chick-Fil-A at Mission Leadership Council of Friday which was most marvelous. I ate a full two chicken sandwiches along with waffle fry chips. We (Sister Platt and I) also sang a song at MLC. It probably sounded mediocre, but it was kind of fun to do. Stressful, but fun. I adore MLC. I get to see all my favorite missionaries, including President and Sister Reynolds!
Mission Leadership Council Crew.
Patriarch Rappleye from my Lynbrook Stake (from near Mineola) came
to Rego Park! What a treat.
Sister Petersen is not allowed to leave!
I heard another fun story this week I would enjoy narrating as the spiritual thought:

A man walked down a busy New York sidewalk. It was a fine day and when he turned the corner he saw a white, folded slip of paper lying on the ground. Thinking it was another pamphlet from the Jehovah's Witness or some sort the man continued on his way.

This man was a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, though, and he knew when the spirit was talking to him. It told him to go back and pick up the slip. Obedient, he walked back and picked up the slip. And guess what was on it? A number? A winning lottery card? A name?

Nope. It was blank. A plain, white, boring, folded slip of paper.

Now, internally this man was a bit upset. 'But, I felt the spirit,' he thought. 'I know that it was the Holy Ghost talking to me....' He sighed and continued down the street until he arrived home.

He rehearsed what had happened to his wife. She sat and thought for a bit and then said, "Well, what if it was the Holy Spirit testing you? If you wouldn't have responded to such a little prompting now, how could it give you bigger promptings later?" The man knew his wife was correct, and that these little experiences really did prepare him to be more attune to the spirit at every moment in his life.

I want to testify that when we really try to listen with our hearts, the Holy Ghost will guide us, and that if we are obedient to every prompting in the moment in which it is given that we will have an over-abundance of happiness and blessings poured down upon us in our lives. I so testify in the name of Jesus Christ, amen.

With love,

Hermana Ally Voss

P.S. and the answer to the title question is about 5-ish months away. Ahhh.
Exchanges with Sisters Thomas and Allen part II
Temple trip with all of my favorites❤️ 
 The temple has a new set of original oil paintings that are just lovely.
Temple companion picture🎀

No comments:

Post a Comment