Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge

Monday, September 25, 2017

The Eternal Progress Map

Quotes of the week:

"Nothing good happens after midnight except sleeping and having great dreams." -PR (President Reynolds)
Strawberry Ice Cream!
Feeling like pop corn
"One has to live the letter of the law to live the spirit of the law and one has to live the spirit of the law to live the letter of the law." (Maxwell, I believe).

"You have to live the lower law to live the higher law." -PR and in addition he mentioned how trying to live the spirit of the law should never lead one to break the letter of the law. "Living the spirit of the law is living the letter of the law in the correct spirit!"

"The eternal progress map is not printed in that building." -PR talking about how many people try to look for happiness and progress by going to the great and spacious building (as mentioned in 1 Nephi 12:18), however will not find it because the press prints a different map in that building. And I imagine the destination of said map is not that which one would want "You can't be in the Great and spacious building looking to eat from the fruit of the Tree of Life." However, if one were to go to the iron rod... the eternal progress map would definitely be very in stock, and there is fruit to spare!

"Yoke up, let's pull together." -EW

"This week was good except Sarah dropped Karen on my belly... it was fine but then I squirted a bit of pee in my pants." A 100% straight faced six-year-old boy.

"I want to be baptized. What do I have to do to be baptized? I have to go to church? Mom, can we go to church this Sunday?" -An amazing 9-year-old child of a less active.

What Happened At Transfers?

So, Sisters Gourley, Ashford, Valvderde, Figaro, and Dawson went home.

Elder Rogers is a Zone Leader in the Hamptons (I've lost all hope for ever going there, but I hope to glean experiences from those who have).

Sister Reeve came to Rego! So psyched to have her as my companion. She is über-consecrated, and knows SO much about member missionary work. She has worked hard in her mission and seen many baptisms and I am thrilled to have her teach me here. I have been absorbing all she says like a sponge, nothing that comes out of her mouth is anything less than gold. It's way cool.

She has also been teaching me 'mission-appropriate' slang. Essentially, Rego Park is the rage cage, and we've been shafted quite a bit this week (rude), and we are going to grind so hard here and we have been going hard in the paint. No lies, we've been pretty cashed.

Definitions:

Rage cage- like, an awesome/rad place? (e.g. BYU is the post-mission rage cage)

Shafted- when someone pulls the rug out from under you, dismisses you, or is rude. (e.g. "Carlita totally shafted us when she didn't show up at the park for our lesson.")

Grind- verb. go hard (e.g. Wow we really grinded today Sister Reeve.") Noun when applied to the Assistant's lives in the five days before and after transfers when they literally don't sleep, eat, or breathe. (e.g. "The Grind was rough this transfer.")

Going hard in the paint- same thing as the verb form of grind.

Cashed- really tired and sleepy. (e.g. "What a long day - I am cashed!")

Investigator's progress:

We had a couple of investigators at church, which was nice. I am super excited for what is to come here in Rego! This Ward is amazing, but would be even better with a few more recent converts. ;)

I mentioned in the quotes a few things about living the letter and spirit of the law. I just want to testify that I know that God gives us laws to follow for our personal happiness and that we will find immense joy in following those laws in the correct spirit. Moreover, I know that the Gospel of Jesus Christ is a perfect map with perfect instructions leading us towards eternal happiness.

My love,

Hermana Ally Voss

No comments:

Post a Comment