Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge

Thursday, April 13, 2017

I'm Expecting! (A New Missionary)

Friends and Family,

I solemnly declare our Elders are up to no good.

Fridays before transfers are a time of much anxiety for several of us missionaries who were wondering if they would get a training call from President Reynolds wherein he asks us if we are willing to train a new missionary. Knowing my anxiety for this moment (I've kind-of sort-of wanted a training call for the past couple of transfers) our Elders decided to play on my and my companion's anticipation.

In a well-thought-out prank the Elders asked for a member's number by requesting the phone on Thursday night. I was talking about Washington State with Elder Rogers at the time and didn't notice my companion give the phone to Elder Brown. While holding the phone, apparently he changed their contact to '00 President Reynolds'. So guess what was going to happen if they called us? '00 President Reynolds' was going to pop up.

So, on Friday, they had the Freeport Elders call us in a scheme to see if we were free and would answer the phone. It was about 3:00 and we were driving, so naturally we were quite free. Then our Elders called - or as I thought - President Reynolds called. I was so psyched as Elder Brown in a (hindsight) not-amazing imitation of President Reynolds's voice asked me to train. Then at the end of the call we realized it was a joke, and I'll admit I was rather salty for quite some time. Like, a while.
My awesome companion!
UNTIL.... I GOT THE REAL CALL THAT NIGHT! President called me, told me he had prayed and wanted to extend the call of trainer to me, and invited me to a meeting for trainers the next day. I can not describe how excited I am! I'm going to be able to stay here in Mineola for the next few months and train a missionary! Yes! I am so felicitous and ready to meet my Sister Missionary. In missionary terms, it's like having a child.
Look at this glorious burrito of joy! Is he not the most darling thing?

¿Y sabe que? ¡Elder Rogers va a tener un verdecito también! We are both going to train in the same branch and same district! And Elder Brown is moving up to be a zone leader this next transfer.

It was fun to go to the trainer meeting and see who was training. There's a decently big group coming in this transfer (maybe 15ish). And it was nice to be reminded of leadership skills and the importance and sacred nature of this calling that the Lord has given us. I currently have pictures of all the missionaries coming in, and am so excited to get one of the three Spanish Sister trainees who are going to come in! (There are more Korean, English, ASL, and other languages but of Spanish there are only three).

It was also amazing to see my trainer Sister Gourley at the trainer meeting. She has been through a lot these last couple of transfers but it was so nice to see how well she is holding up through it all! I have so much respect for that amazing missionary. Reflecting back on our time together she said those were probably the two hardest transfers of her mission, but they were also the most fun. We had nothing. No one to teach, no one to baptize, no one to take to the temple. I didn't know anything else. I assumed my experience was typical - then I came here to Mineola where there have been two baptisms and a temple trip! I loved Brooklyn and I love it here in Mineola. If the Lord sees fit to send me to other locations after May 30th (when I'm done training) then I'm sure I'll love those as well! I am so grateful for both of my areas (And Little Neck - Little Neck counts right?). I know the Lord has sent me to each of these areas to grow my faith and to teach me skills I wouldn't learn anywhere else.

I'm going to miss Hermana Fa'ulao a lot, she is so amazing and sweet. I remember President asking if I learned a lot about myself through having different companions, and I'd have to say yes! Sister Fa'ulao exposed me to Tongan culture, showed me how to love, and helped me discover many different ways to do missionary work. Mineola is sad to see her go - especially after her having stayed for such a short time! I can see the love the branch members have for her.
Sister Fa'ulao and I with Roger rabbit at the Perez home. I loved it but Sister Fa'ulao was terrified.




Also, this last week a member had her baby! And we were finally able to pass by to see him! Michael Mosías is darling. He doesn't cry, he smiles all the time, and he has a full head of hair. To me, a full head of hair almost immediately qualifies that one's baby is cute. Before we left she said we had to hold her baby. And normally we aren't quite allowed to.... But the mother wanted us to and was right next to us so we held him for a few seconds each and it was probably the cutest moment of my mission. Baby Mosías finally came!

Also, I've heard missionaries joke around a lot in the mission about meetings saying, "meetings about missionary work are more important than actual missionary work, right?" I have laughed at that comment before, but after an experience this week I finally think I realize the importance and magnitude of the meetings and how when we are not respectful during meetings we are basically being disrespectful to the Lord, since they are His meetings.

Little Moments of the week:

"My favorite verse in Doctor and Covenants says that..." -Menos Activo. If you ever need the scriptures to fix you up go to Doctor and Covenants!

"My name is Emily Anne-Ee-Eh." -little Hispanic girl. "Emily Annie... Her middle name is Annie." -her brother.

Brianna or Briana? That's what we had to decide when an investigator asked us to help her choose which was more common in the United States for her baby girl. We said Brianna.... Hope that's right!

Next week I'll send you all pictures of my trainee! I am so excited!

All my love,

Hermana Ally June Voss
Morgan Park in Glen Cove last preparation day


No comments:

Post a Comment