Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge

Monday, April 17, 2017

Monday, March 20th, 2017

Missions are kind of incredible. It is a bit difficult to describe the kind of joy, stress, and happiness that comes from serving the Lord.
I love my trainee!


Everything starts with the people, though. And I am lucky to have the most gorgeous, sweet companion ever, Hermana Chung. And I am inordinately blessed to have wonderful members as well. After not having seen Ana for a month we went over to have a lesson Monday night and it was so wonderful to feel her family's spirit again. She brought us back little souvenirs from her country as well which was darling. I thought it was interesting how she mentioned that she had talked to missionaries while she was in her country and how different the missionary work is in her country versus here in the United States. Also, Hispanics have a weird thing about not letting us do the dishes. In the past, Ana's sink has exploded on me when I've tried, so I brought the dishes over to the sink and she told me not to wash the dishes. I told her I didn't know how to use her sink and she said, "mejor que no sepas." (you better not know) Also her daughter told us to bring a pony game the next time, so we will have to be pretty creative. When her daughter saw a picture of me with rabbits she said, "oh, ¡que Linda!"

We had a ton of warnings for a snow storm, but luckily there wasn't too much snow. It didn't stop the work hardly at all. It was mostly freezing rain mixed with a decent amount of snow (definitely no more than a foot). Driving in the snow is one of my favorite things. (In addition to silver-white winters that melt into springs, of course).
Snowstorm!
At Mega-Zone we talked a lot about baptism. How to get our investigators there, why it is important, and how we can teach repentance through baptism. We saw the new Easter video campaign for the church which is called Prince of Peace. It is so beautiful. We also talked about tender mercies at Mega-Zone, which helped me to see all of the tender mercies in my life.

That very day we drove to an appointment where pretty much every single person who was in the home (most of them being members) participated in the lesson. We helped less actives see why church was important, and helped the investigators see how working towards baptism was going to help them. Then we went to an appointment where we got a referral for her sister-in-law. Upon arriving at the Sister-in-laws house we were told that actually she had been reading in the Bible on line the day before and an add for the Book of Mormon had come up and she had said to herself "I want to learn more about the Book of Mormon, I am going to look that book up." And then we showed up! Her entire family was interested, and she gave up yet another referral! It was amazing to see the blessings of immediately contacting referrals.



Also, my trainee is way gorgeous. So, that.


Then, (will wonders never cease?) the elders called us inspiredly. Then they visited someone we couldn't visit. Act on promptings. We were able to help them by getting them a Book of Mormon for children before their appointment.

We found a family by helping them carry eggs. More people to help come to church and be baptized. Crazy tender mercies.

In terms of investigators we are preparing four investigators right ow to be baptized. Hopefully within the next three weeks three of them will get baptized, and one more in the weeks afterwards. Katrina is preparing to get baptized by getting married to a member and then being baptized. We look forward to her making covenants with her Father in Heaven. Marina is hopefully going to get baptized with her two boys within the coming weeks. Side note: she is making pupusas for us tomorrow. Yes!

Today we went to the Holocaust Center of Nassau County. It was incredible to see into the lives of those who suffered so much. I give all of my utmost respect to the victims of that Holocaust.

We also had the opportunity to walk along the beach again. I've said it before and I will say it again: the Lord has given us a world so beautiful, how can we not marvel and explore? I love the clear smell of the sea breeze, the open ocean, the Long Island Sound, Connecticut, the Bronx. It is so lovely. (Side note: I met a girl who went to elementary school with Duchess Kate Middleton today).

Welwyn Preserve and Holocaust museum today. We went inside and walked around the Holocaust museum this time and it was so humbling and amazing. It is awful and horrible and absolutely frightening what happened.
And now for the spiritual thought:

“Sadness, disappointment, and severe challenge are events in life, not life itself. I do not minimize how hard some of these events are. They can extend over a long period of time, but they should not be allowed to become the confining center of everything you do. The Lord inspired Lehi to declare the fundamental truth, “Men are, that they might have joy.” That is a conditional statement: “they might have joy.” It is not conditional for the Lord. His intent is that each of us finds joy. It will not be conditional for you as you obey the commandments, have faith in the Master, and do the things that are necessary to have joy here on earth. Your joy in life depends upon your trust in Heavenly Father and His holy Son, your conviction that their plan of happiness truly can bring you joy.”​ Thomas S. Monson

I hope you all find joy this week!

My love from New York,

Hermana Ally Voss
Oh, and I petted a dog this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment