Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge

Friday, April 28, 2017

Pre Easter Update

Hello all!

Happy Easter in advance for this Sunday. The tulips and daffodils have finally poked above the earth and bloomed. Yellow and pink and vivid red. All these wonderful, triumphant colors remind us of Christ's triumphant revival and how he has conquered death so that we all might live again.
Flowers and sunshine


Mosiah 16:7-8

7 And if Christ had not risen from the dead, or have broken the bands of death that the grave should have no victory, and that death should have no sting, there could have been no resurrection.

8 But there is a resurrection, therefore the grave hath no victory, and the sting of death is swallowed up in Christ.

There is a really insightful quote by Gordon B. Hinckley that states, "there would be no Christmas if there was no Easter." I love that. The reason we have Christmas is because we have Easter! He rose, and because of His victory over death, we celebrate His birth.

Another scary thing this week is that we had interviews with President Reynolds and he said "You're not a new missionary anymore." What? It still feels like I'm in my first week. I mean, not really. Elder Menge said, "I feel like you've been on your mission forever" and sometimes it feels like that, but sometimes it feels like I'm still new. I'm not exactly sure what to think anymore. Only just about nine months left. That's scary.

We actually had the opportunity to have the previous President of this mission, Elder Calderwood (who is now a seventy), come and speak to us at stake conference this past week. Stake conference is a meeting where all of the local units meet together to learn what the prophet would have us learn. He said something about general conference that I really loved. Well, he said a lot of things that I really loved but there were several in particular I will mention. He said of Prophet Thomas S. Monson's talk that "I hope you heard a prophet beg you to read the Book of Mormon." Wow. I listened to the video again and listened to a prophet beg me and others to read that Book. The most perfect book.
Carlos PĂ©rez wanted to dab with us. So we did.
A lion-dog we met this week. It seemed quite terrifying until it
started licking our faces.
It was hilarious because stake Conference was transmitted from Flushing so they did the entire General Conference scheme. "Welcome to the stake Conference center transmitted from Flushing, Flushing New York." *organ music and choir singing in the background*
Werewolf with the mega-district. It was fun. I won with my honey. ;) (we played the version with Cupid, and I as the werewolf preserved our matrimony)
In addition he said, "I'm not sure you would find two more kind and loving servants of the Lord than the Reynolds." I love my Mission President and all that he has done for me. I am grateful for Sister Reynolds and how she loves each and every one of us and is an example for us every day. When I look at her I see so many Christ-like attributes that I would love to exemplify in my life.

One other thing that President Calderwood said that impressed me is that he stated that if one reads from the Book of Mormon every single day and holds fast to it than they will have eternal life. What an exquisite promise!

There was a moment this week when we could choose between contacting an uncontacted referral, or knocking. Great Neck, or Hempstead. We prayed to know where to go and on the count of three we both shouted, "Great Neck!" It was a wonderful evening. We shared the Prince of Peace video several times, got some new investigators, and were very successful, gratefully. What a spiritual experience! The spirit can guide us when we let ourselves be guided by its hand.

Happy Easter, may your eggs be delicious and your chocolate dark. :)

Love,

Hermana Ally Voss

Post Script:

Sorry my weekly is so short. We were playing Werewolf/Mafia with the Lynbrook district. It was fun. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment