Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge

Thursday, April 27, 2017

You Mean the Nuns?

April, my favorite month, has officially begun! Flowers are beginning to bloom, bees aren't out yet, the weather is looking up (rainy but warm. And you know what they say, 'April showers bring May flowers').
Exchanges


Today we toured a lovely cathedral. It is gothic in style and located in Garden City, I believe. I have always looked at it in awe and made a split second decision as we came close to it today to take the side road and go explore. It was a beautiful day to do so. I'm not strictly sure if we were supposed to, but the door was open and we went inside. No one was there to condemn us.... It was lovely! Flying buttresses, stained glass, and the narthex and the tympanum were stunning!

We went on exchanges this week with the lovely Sisters Valverde and Dawson and to quote an experience I wrote in my journal:

Sister Valverde sneaks from the car to the gate. "We have to hop the fence," she whispers. I watch in stunned silence as the she moves like a cat, hopping onto the other side of the eight foot fence. I follow suit quietly and carefully (or as carefully as I can in a pencil skirt and slight heels). Upon landing on the soft grass we sneak about five feet around the house before I hear a, "oh shoot, this is Mr. Kim's yard! Run, run! He has cameras!" We retrace our steps, hopping the fence and running around a median wherein we are able to simply run around the house, scale a fire escape, and card the door into the apartment. Sister Valverde puts her finger to her lips, indicating the suspects may already be in the house. It is pitch-black, and not a sound is to be heard. We tip-toe to the door - right as we get there the doorknob turns. "Boo!" We scream as the terrified Sister Missionaries scream and say how awful we are. Diabolically, Sister Valverde and I laugh (maniacally).

This sums up my and Sister Valverde's relationship. :) Apparently this Mr. Kim has also seen other Sister Missionaries try to enter his yard before (on accident) and told the neighbors. The neighbors just look in stunned disbelief and say, "what? You mean the nuns?" Yes, the nuns.
Cathedral Pics






The nuns also got to go to the French Workshop again! What a lovely place. This time I ate 'The Melody'. It is a dark-chocolate and creme brûlée treat with many other lovely inserts. It tastes good, but next time I shall probably just eat more crème brûlée and stick with the classics.
The French Workshop

We ate pizza at a meeting for trainers and trainees on Wednesday. I very much enjoyed it (now the question is - the pizza or the meeting? It's like a Choose Your Own Adventure).


We had the opportunity to hear from modern-day prophets this week in what is called General Conference. I learned many wonderful pieces of wisdom. I shall write some of them, roughly translated from Spanish. (English originally to Spanish translation and back to my English translation of the Spanish).

"When we are complacent with our covenants we are complicit with the consequences." -Gary B. Sabin

"The great oratorio of the Plan of Salvation... stand close to the Savior, who has perfect pitch... you will be endowed with power to hear the songs [some] cannot now sing... Surely love of God is our melody and our quest to obey Him is our harmony." -Jeffrey R. Holland.

"Sleeping in church must be one of the most healthy naps!" -Dieter F. Uchtdorf (I'm sure something went wrong in translation with this one!)

"We think the ends justify the means. It is not so!" -Dieter F. Uchtdorf

"Bautícese! Bautícese!" -Joaquin E. Costa

"Warning is a happy song, not always someone standing on a box saying 'arrepiéntase!'" -D. Todd Christoffersen

"Teach your children to have integrity... 'I did it because I said I would!'.... He has divine expectations for us." -Joy D. Jones

"The language must be taught if you don't wish to lose it!" -Valeri V. Cordon

"Luz, luz, luz, luz luz, luz. Everything living prefers light! Positivity! Christ is light!" -Mark A. Bragg

"This work doesn't just save the dead. It saves us all!" -Henry B. Eyring.

I love you all! I hope you all find peace through the Savior. "King of Kings, Lord of Lords, Prince of Peace".

With love,

Hermana Ally Voss
When Elders make you crepes because they are sweet!

No comments:

Post a Comment